Tuesday, March 6, 2012

BE#6: A Normal Saturday Afternoon (Jan 28)

Salut!!

     These pictures were taken yesterday when we were having our outreach and I decided to blog about it since I realized something very important.


For 8 Saturdays, we have to go to 1K1 Kasiglahan Village in Rodriguez, Rizal for our outreach program.


Itinerary every Saturday: 

                                         7:30 AM : Departure - Harisson Plaza
                                         7:30 - 9:30 AM : 2-hour jeepney ride going to 1K1 Village
                                         9:30 - 12:30 PM : Tutorial Session
                                         12:30 - 2:30/3:00 PM : Arrival - DLSU

     For past weeks that we have gone through the same routine. It actually doesn't bother me that much but what actually (honestly) began to bother me was the fact that we have to please our adult companions because our grades will be coming from them. It's not that I am being plastic or anything like that but I just hate it when they use their power over us and threaten (not to that extent really but for me the word is just right) us that they will fail us and etc. This also goes for some of our professors in the academe.


     Given that the summer season had already arrived, I think that is another factor on why I become cranky  during Saturdays. Intense heat from the sun + the 2-hour jeepney ride + the uneven roads = HELL for me. Oh did I mention that there are no fans in the community we visit? We have to stay there for 3 hours and then we're gonna ride the jeepney again for another 2-3 hours. Okay so too much for the rants.

     For our outreach, we tutor children from Kinder till Grade 6. I was assigned to tutor the Grade 6 students together with two other classmates of mine. Luckily, we only have 3 students to tutor plus they are really nice students. They were the ones responsible for my realization.

     After teaching them how to properly multiply and divide with decimals and on how to get areas and such, I actually heard them conversing.

Boy 1 to Boy 2 : "Mas masaya pala dito noh?"
Boy 2 to Boy 1 : "Oo nga eh. May natututunan pa tayo."
Boy 1 to Boy 2 : "Sa iskwela wala tayo natututunan buti pa sila titser magaling magturo"

Boy 1 to me : "Titser  bigyan mo kami ng homework!"
Me to Boy 1 : "Seryoso ka? Gusto mo ng homework!?" ---while laughing
Boy 1 to me : "Oo titser. Buti nga sainyo may natututunan kami. Sa iskwela madalas wala kaming guro. Next
                          week ulit ha!"
Me to Boy 1 : "O sige, sige."---with my smile on.


     After that conversation, I felt something pierce my heart. That moment was just priceless for me. It is one of the best things I have ever heard in my entire life. It felt like my spirits were back up again. It completed my day and it did definitely made me smile. After that session, I focus on the positive things in our trip instead of the negatives. I actually enjoy going there now. :)

That's it for now!!


Merci beaucoup, Au revoir,


Carl               `

1 comment: